2005-11-15

Simp[l]y Delicious

I like using the social bookmarking system. It allows me to easily access boomarks from anywhere. More importantly it's a more powerful and flexible system than the bookmarks built into my browser because labels are more versatile than folders (Google knows this) and with most browsers you can only organize by folders. It also allows me to be more shameless about the number of things I can bookmark without becoming overburdened with organizing the links. It also lets me search through topics other people have marked with the same kinds of labels. There are other features related to this of course.

I started off with del.icio.us which is still the most popular. Then a number of other ones popped up. I started using simpy because it had some more features. Then I ended up coming back to del.icio.us, and for nearly the same reason people stuck with VHS over Betamax, Atari 2600 over Intellivision, and to some degree Microsoft over Apple. There are plenty of examples of sad cases where the superior bows to the popular. With del.icio.us however, it made more sense to favor the popular because it's a social web concept whereby the better service was the one with the most participants.

No comments: