2006-05-18

The return to the console?

I've been seeing a slew of articles on Nintendo's new Wii game console coming out over at digg and a few other places. I never read articles on console games much because at some point I realized that I would probably never buy a console game again. I didn't see the point to it.

  • They're dedicated single-purpose machines whereas my computer can play games and is useful for many other things.
  • They become obsolete every few years.
  • They're not THAT cheap.
  • I haven't been much of a game enthusiast since I was a kid.

The last time I considered a console was for the PS2 and because I was kind of interested in the Dance Dance Revolution thingy. I read some excitement of its addictiveness and use in exercise and health. But it was an idle consideration. The PS2 and the Xbox both had some interesting games, and I'd gotten some modest pressure from friends I had who owned them but I never took the interest I had too seriously.

The last console I owned was the Atari 5200 (date me alert). Well, I did have a Sega but that was given to me and I didn't use it. That 5200 was a let down. I was excited when I got it but with all the saving I did at that age to get it, it didn't last long; it basically tanked as a console and had some other problems with it. My brother and sister had newer consoles over the years so at least I got to play with theirs.

Anyhow, coming back to they Wii... I finally decided to look it up and see what the hoopla was about. I'm simultaneously impressed and skeptical, and this mostly stems from the unique controllers that have accelerometers in them. It may indeed lend itself to some innovative game play and I find myself interested a little more seriously on getting one when it finally comes out. I guess I'll come back to it when the time comes.

No comments: