2006-10-12

Distro feel

I finally allowed the IT guys at work to replace/upate my machine to the new regime. I have a Gentoo box sitting on my desk now. It's actually been ready for a couple of weeks but I had to make them wait because I couldn't afford the interruption in the meantime. At last I got my upgrade. Most of the folks in my group are very resistant to system updates and changes... some notoriously so. I can see their point of view, I just don't share it. And knowing that I'm very amenable to updates and changes despite the glitches that always appear, the IT folk had slated me as one of the earlier guinea pigs (though not the first). I'd been waiting for this update for quite some time actually. Newer software with newer features and at last I can use my USB flash. I also like that my machine seems more responsive all around (mostly due to newer machine with more memory but I suspect some of it is due to how Gentoo builds things).

One thing that kind of surprised me this time around, though, is that the feel of the Gentoo distro is not what I expected. True, I've only used it for a few days but it almost feels like I'm really just using a generic KDE box. Here's what I mean. When I was using RedHat it somehow felt like I was using RedHat. When I was using Debian it felt like I was using Debian. My home machine has Ubuntu and it definitely feels like I'm using Ubuntu. But right now, I don't have this strong feeling that I'm using Gentoo. Not that I feel like I'm using some other distro, but more that I'm just using some generic Linux with KDE. It's just a feeling and I'm sure it's more than just splash screens and extra icons here and there. It's a bit hard to define precisely and maybe it's largely subconscious. It's probably a good thing but is that not wierd?

No comments: