2006-11-27

Eye candy

I retract my previous jest regarding being in with the IT guys. One of them hooked my workstation up with Beryl and I'm gushing like the geek I am. I remember seeing some vids/demos of it over this past year and I thought it was nifty... I never thought I'd actually play with it. A) I don't have root at work and B) my linux box at home is not that powerful.

But now I can. Yes it's completely useless, doesn't do anything that I actually need, and it's kind of distracting; I find myself playing more with the window manager than I am working at times. However, I think there's nothing wrong with eye candy, and I think no matter how much people harp on bloated overkill waste-of-cycles things, they internally know that style counts for something. I mean, just look at cars and cell phones and Apple products. "function over form"... yes, but not that's not to say that form doesn't count. As for me, anything to break the monotony of the screen I stare at all day is a plus.

No comments: