2006-01-23

Delete this

I can only guess that the reason Google did not make a delete button (you had to go to the dropdown menu) was that they didn't really want you to delete anything. Now... why wouldn't they want you to delete anything? I have no freaking clue and I have no intention of digging through their literature in an effort to understand such an inane idea. There are just emails that are not worth saving. Maybe they figured so long as it was archived and out of the way then it wouldn't matter if it was there or not. That's kind of how I (used to) treat all of the accumulated items I have at home. File it and forget about it. The only advantage Gmail has is that the search is very good, whereas with my files, it is not. Still... clutter is clutter. The lack of a delete button was a big complaint by nearly every Gmail user I imagine and for such a simple thing to fix I'm astounded at their lack of response to it. But now it's there thankfully.

In slightly related news, I've finally started getting spam on my Gmail account. It took more than half a year for the spam to start and for that I'm both thankful and impressed. Well there was some spam there already but that was my fault due to some web purchases and signups but those were sensible, controlable, identifiable, and filterable. Now the typical maddening garbage is starting to trickle in. There's no escape.

No comments: