2006-02-13

I've always wanted a ST:TNG console

I've dreamed of an interface where I can move windows with my fingers, draw, type directly on the screen, have some amazing ways to edit, develop, and explore using a very large drafting table-type touch screen. I even went so far as to imagine the types of fingering would be involved to do some of those things. A lot of those dreams and practical ideas suddenly felt really mundane when I saw this excellent demo of just what I was imagining, only with way cooler effects. What they did to create a virtual desktop, map and image manipulation, and some very nifty application interfaces was very inspired. And I hadn't considered the addition of force measurements as yet another input control as they did. Very very cool.

I had wondered why there wasn't something like this out there in consumer land by now. It's such a much more natural interface than having to slide around a pointer on the screen via a mouse. Even the touch screens out there were very simple when I consider that they required only one touch point at a time. I hope that this thing gets commoditized because I want one.

Another video I saw that was kind of nifty was a real transformer robot. I wonder how long before a Veritech fighter can be made.

No comments: