2011-04-11

Emacs, you ugly nerd

I once saw Emacs described as a "thermonuclear text processor" and I find that description fitting.  Emacs is a beast.  It has a really steep learning curve.  But much the same way the *nix in general can have a steep learning curve, after you use it for a long enough time you grow to appreciate the raw power available over the other offerings.  Some even take it up a level "Emacs IS my operating system".  There are too many quirks with that for me to accept on that part though.  I know I can run a shell terminal in Emacs but I never do, mostly because of how the environment seems to get screwed up just enough to turn me off.

Anyhow, I sometimes can't believe how utterly craptastic it is make Emacs look pretty by way of fonts and such.  It's a freaking mess.  And there is the invariable quirk with it as well.  Thankfully the internet comes to the rescue.  What I love most about the web coupled with a good search engine is that I often enough am able to find the workaround to a problem I'm having.  Not easily some of the time but it puts a whole host of things within the realm of possibility.  Most recently I wanted to correct the annoying issue of Emacs not using the default font when opening a new frame via C-x 5 2.  Found the snippet of code I needed to add to my .emacs file almost immediately.

Only thing I really regret about using Emacs as much as I do is never having learned Lisp.  It's always been on my someday list.

No comments: