2011-04-22

Upper left corner

I forget exactly when but at some point Ubuntu defaulted to having windows with the close/min/max buttons in the upper left corner instead of the upper right.  For some historical reason they have always been on the upper right and it was taken for granted and people just got accustomed to expecting it there.  Despite it being relatively easy to "fix" I did read some complaints on the choice.  I was rather agnostic about the placement actually.  In fact, since all menus are left justified (in my language anyways) it sorta makes sense to have the window menu buttons there as well.

Anyhow, today I just found a mildly compelling reason for me to prefer to keep those buttons on the upper left corner.  I often enough connect my laptop to my monitor at work which is vastly bigger than my laptop screen, and in doing so I tend to enlarge and space out my windows.  If I suspend and unsuspend to the smaller screen, the windows run off the page, BUT the top left corner almost always remains on the screen where I have access to these buttons but not if they were on the other side. It's a minor thing but custom and consistency is the only argument for keeping it on the upper right.

No comments: