2006-08-22

Firefox bound

Ever have something nagging at you for the longest time and yet you do nothing about it and just try and deal with it. I do that all the time. I'd always been bugged that when entering web forms in a browser, namely Firefox, I didn't have my emacs-style keybindings for editing text. And yet, I did nothing about, not even something as trivial as doing a web search. I think there's a certain amount of learned helplessness in there somewhere. Well, now that I've set up my work Instiki, I will be doing more and more text entry into my browser than I used to and enough was enough.

Thank the maker! My solution was within a few keystrokes reach. As usual, I feel like an idiot for not looking this up ages ago.

Sadly, those keybindings don't seem to work in Blogger. Curses!

ADDENDUM:

Speaking of binding Firefox, I had an issue when I upgraded to 1.5 and Thunderbird as well. They didn't work together by default on my workstation. Now... there's a reason for this. The IT guys were so overworked that our workstations are way out of date. Not their fault really, there are other political reasons why our systems stay out of date. Anyhow, I ended up installing it locally in my home directory and using it there. When I clicked on a link in the email client, it would try and bring up epiphany, and when i clicked on an email address in the browser, nothing would happen. I did a web search and all the pages pointed to making sure the "Default Browser" was set properly. I changed it everywhere I could with the control panel(s) and such. None of it work. So I got stuck with doing the cut/paste method of following links and I was irritated for months. Fed up I finally cornered an IT guy for help and he was able to dig up a couple web pages that had the solution. Ugh! I did web searches but he used one or two different words in the search that I did not (nonobvious ones like "force") and was able to get the result whereas I was not. I applied the changes and voila, all fixed in a snap. What a difference a search makes. I feel like a n00b. In my defense, he had done that fix before so remembered what to look for, but still.

Oh, a solution can be found here and it didn't involve any system or window manager or desktop "Defaults".