2006-08-03

Happy with the Linux distro choice

These days I find myself rarely booting my Linux box (laptop) but when I do, I become more and more pleased with having picked Ubuntu. It is definitely the low maintenance distro that caused me to install and keep it in the first place. I'm still interested in Gentoo but until my office workstation uses it, I'm just as happy to not use it since it would require a lot more tinkering which at the moment I'm just not willing to do. I sit in front of Linux all day and with all of my other personal projects I just don't feel like booting up Linux at home unless I need to log in and such. That may and probably will change in the future, or at least I hope so. But for now, I'm pleased with Ubuntu and I think that so far it's the best distro that I've had at home.

What prompted this? I hadn't turned on my laptop in a month or so, and like clockwork, there was a new Ubuntu release. It updated without a hitch and I noticed that it did indeed correct some of the glitches that I had seen before. I later experimented with ripping a CD to mp3 to discover that it could not. Apparently, the philosophy of Ubuntu prevents the mp3 encoder from being installed by default due to the whole licensing BS. A little bit of due diligence and web searching through the forums and the solution was there in front of me. Install stated packages and voila it works. I read a lot of press about the helpfulness of the Ubuntu community and my experience so far has led me to agree.

Now, is it fully dumb-user friendly? No, I wouldn't say so. But for someone like me with a lot of *nix experience who at the moment doesn't want to take the time to tweak and tweak, it's as close as I've found.

No comments: