2006-08-22

Rails rocks

I hadn't done much in the way of web stuff since the days I maintained some personal static research logs at my lab way back when. I wouldn't even count that as web stuff. Had a cursory knowledge of HTML by inspection, never learned Java, nor PHP, nor pretty much anything else. wget was my friend when I wanted or needed to do anything fancy. I did some digging, looked at some complicated-looking scripts, dabbled with a cgi script or two but not a lot. I'd always wanted to play around with it but never put much effort.

That sort of changed recently when I finally had some cause to investigate it for work related reasons. I'd been a scripting fiend for a decade and fell smitten with Ruby over a year ago. I'd been hearing about Rails (who hasn't) but only read enough to get an idea of what it was. Well, now I have dug a bit deeper, had time to play, and I have to say that it is way cool. Even without any formal or informal experience with other types of webdev platforms, I can already feel that I'd rather learn this than those others (save maybe Java but for different reasons). I was set up very quickly, ran though a neat tutorial, and marvelled at the relative ease and quickness with which I was able to get something working. I felt the excitement. I hadn't actually looked forward to getting home to play on my Linux box to play for a long time.

It didn't stop there, either. Before I knew it, I had Typo and Instiki installed in a snap. Those systems are just insanely cool, especially to a webdev n00b like me. I love that they come with their own servers ready to go via Webrick or tapping into Lighttpd. Instiki is now going to be a part of my work logs; it's just convenient to have a wiki where I can collect tips and results. As for home use, I don't really have much in the way of a web application or set of them, it's just to play around with. Next step, find out how to access my home Linux servers from outside. For some reason the port forwarding isn't doing the trick. I suspect my ISP is blocking those ports but I won't rule out my doing something wrong.

No comments: